What is melanin? Melanin is a pigment that is responsible for the color of your skin, eyes, and hair. It is found in the topmost layer of the skin and created by cells called ‘melanocytes’. The more the melanin production darker would be the skin and vice versa.
Can I reduce melanin– This is a million dollar question. And answer to it is yes. There are multiple remedies to reduce the melanin-ointments and natural therapies.
Ointments– Ointments that contain hydroquinone and metformin are said to work in lightening darker areas of the skin. I would highly recommend consulting a dermatologist before using any medicated skin bleaching product.
How to reduce melanin in body permanently naturally? Try these home remedies.-
1. Potato– have antioxidant properties and enzymes present which makes it a perfect fit for reducing melanin.
- Make a paste of raw potatoes and apply on your face
- You can also rub sliced potatoes on your skin daily
- Apply it daily and see the change
2. Avacado– It is a superfood with multiple benefits. It contains glutathione which works like an antioxidant that inhibits the production enzymes (Tyrosinase)which produce melanin.
- Mash the avocado and get a creamy texture and apply it on your face.
- Clean the face when it dries up
- Apply it every week and see the change
3. Lemon juice– It contains Vitamin C and Citric acid and has the potential to reverse hyperpigmentation. You might have noticed Lemon being used in soaps, hand wash, and scrubs because of it’s this unique property.
- Apply lemon juice on your face for 5 minutes
- Wash your face after 5 minutes and see the change
4. Tomato– It contains antioxidant which helps in reducing the melanin. Additionally it helps in generation of new cells.
- Use ripe tomatoes and make a paste
- Apply it on your face and leave it to dry for 15-20 minutes
- Clean your face
- Repeat this twice a week in order to see the change
5. Turmeric– This is one of the prime ingredients for whitening the skin.
- Make a paste and mix with a little milk and apply on your face
- Clean face with lukewarm water once the paste dries
- Apply it weekly twice and see the change
6. Aloe vera– It has antioxidant properties which helps in reducing the melanin and glow you skin
- Cut the aloe vera leaf and take out the gel in a bowl and apply it to your face
- You can try this daily and see the change
7. Orange Peel– Orange peel is a rich source of vitamin C which aids in skin exfoliation and improves your skin texture. This pack is an excellent remedy for pigmented skin and can be applied all over your face and hands.
- Grate the orange peel and mix it with honey, lemon juice, and yogurt to make a face pack.
- Apply this pack over your face and keep for 10-15 minutes and rinse it off with normal water.
- You can try this twice a week for a better result.
Does sunscreen help to limit melanin? Wearing any sunscreen is always better than nothing – gives better results if it becomes a part of your daily routine. According to experts, sunscreen with a minimum SPF of 30 is good to protect the skin from UV rays. But I would highly recommend you to consult your dermatologist before selecting one.
Sunscreen lotion- Best sunscreen for face in india
|Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunblock SPF 50|
|Avene Very High Protection Emulsion SPF 50+|
|Biotique Bio Sandalwood 50+ SPF UVA/UVB Sunscreen|
|Lotus Safe Sun 3-In-1 Matte Look Daily Sunblock SPF 40|
|La Roche-Posay Ultra-Light Sunscreen SPF 50|
Which food reduce melanin? A slight change in diet will help you in reducing the melanin which in turn makes the skin tone lighter. Foods like Yogurt, Carrot, Tomato juice, Pumpkin, Green Tea are helpful.
Steps to reduce melanin overproduction? Below mentioned are the reasons for over production of melanin.
- Reduce getting exposed to the sun. If possible stay indoors between 10 am to 3 pm
- Wear sun-protective gears like- sunglasses, long sleeves, hats
- Avoid Sunbathing
Hope this blog was helpful. Please feel free to leave your likes, comments and feedback if any.